Português | English

IICA é uma organização cultural, educacional e de intercâmbios, sem fins
lucrativos, fundada em 1965 simplesmente como uma Escola de Idiomas.
No decorrer das últimas décadas ampliou suas atividades no âmbito nacional
e internacional. Criou e desenvolveu inúmeros programas culturais objetivando
dar aos jovens brasileiros e de outros países, oportunidade de aprimoramento
Escreva sua história, fazendo do mundo uma verdadeira sala de aula, onde
cada experiência é única e todas as lembranças serão eternas para voce!



Many ESL teachers worldwide practice freelance English teaching, also known as “private” tutoring. But before a teacher decides to engage in freelance work, they should consider the laws of the country in which they reside.

Countries such as Brazil and South Korea have laws punishable by deportation and high fines for working without a proper visa. And there are countries such as Japan and Taiwan where freelance work in encouraged and legal. There are still hundreds of teachers that continue to teach illegally in countries around the world, but they have made the conscious, albeit risky, decision the remunerations of freelance work outweigh the punishments.

If you are an illegal, think about the bad and serious consequences you should report before to the immigration authorities if you are caught or have been involved in accidents, lawsuits, etc. You may be under deportation laws or sent to jail depending on the violation you have committed. If a school or any company maintains you working in an illegal basis, they also will have the devil to pay before Federal Police.

A teacher should consider when engaging in freelance work is their schedule. Tutoring can have dry spells, when schools are on holiday or students cancel classes. Freelance work as a supplement to full-time income is the best situation to be in when these dry spells occur. It is inadvisable for a teacher to rely on freelance work as their primary income. Rent is expensive and with damage deposits, as well as first and last month’s rent, getting an apartment can be a large burden for a first-time English teacher. You should have enough money to continue with your daily routine without having to rely on income for a few months. You should also keep emergency flight money on hand, just in case you have to leave. You should also know your host country very well and understand the laws and risks you take by engaging in freelance work.

The second thing that you must keep in mind, you must be social and have many friends. You cannot make the transition into freelance work and expect many students without having a social network, because a teacher can find many students based on referrals by other teachers and their students. You should also socialize the local people of your host country when possible. Perhaps even have a “home stay” family to help you out for a few months.

Third, depending on your legal situation, you should advertise. Yes, word of mouth works best, but it can be slow in the beginning. Posting advertisements at local schools may help a little, but it’s the parents you need to focus on; they are the ones with the money. Leave a little leaflet with your information and experience in both your language and the local language, with little tear off sheets at the bottom with your phone number. You may even consider placing your picture in the local paper to help grab the eye of parents. Do not forget to ask permission before placing the advertisement.

Fourth, how much should you charge? You must consider your student and his/her financial situation and the local going rate. Check out the different Internet forums in your host country and ask what the going rate is. You don’t want to under-charge or over-charge your clients; this can upset other teachers or students. It is also wise to keep your dealings quiet and confidential. Only discuss your freelance work with those people you feel you can trust.

IICA has an interesting Program for academic students aged from 21 – 32 yrs old interested in develop his professional teaching career. You may stay up to 24 months. You get an allowance for your partial stipends and have a free home stay while you teach English, learn Portuguese and be involved in cultural activities. You get an IV Visa which allows you to stay legally. It is not a job offer but a cultural internship program.

Fifth, be patience. Spend what is needed, but do not come to work or teach illegally and have a nice and safe staying without any problem with immigration police.

Professor J.A.Pimenta – Director.
ETP/ESL Program

Avenida 23, 1.274 - CEP: 38.300-114 - Ituíutaba - Minas Gerais - Brasil | Fone: (34) 3261-2141 - (34) 9216-9211
E-Mail: jcjacy@hotmail.com